Sunday 2 January 2011

Slow carb pancakes!! Yummy!!

Was browsing for recipes, and found a pancake recipe, which I adapted to fit in with the slow carb 4 hour plan.

Now adapting recipes is something I am sceptical about at the best of times, especially when you take into account my culinary skills!

But I was absolutely delighted! It came out with a nice bread-y texture, had a sort of French toast taste and satisfied any carb craving and sweet tooth desires completely. Awesome!

My recipe is as follows:

Makes 1 big pancake or 2-3 smaller ones.

Ingredients

  • 3 egg whites
  • 1.5 scoops whey protein powder (I used this one in Cookies & Cream flavour)
  • Touch of ground cinammon
  • Dash of vanilla extract (can also use almond extract)
  • Small amount of olive oil or butter
Method
  • Whisk egg whites
  • Add protein powder and cinammon
  • Whisk until fully blended
  • Add extract
  • Heat butter/oil in frying pan
  • Once hot, add the eggy mixture
  • Cook, flip, cook
  • Enjoy!
Ok so mine didn't come out looking great or in any great shape, but that will come with practice I guess.

The only downside I can think of is the fact that because whey protein powder is prone to denaturing, it probably isn't wise to make these in big batches ahead of time. But otherwise, all good.

And personally I wouldn't use chocolate whey for this - cooked chocolate protein doesn't taste that great.

Coming soon: I am going to trial a slow carb chocolate mousse recipe soon!

3 comments:

  1. It looks good. Did you get to use any kind of syrup? ..Can't wait to try out the chocolate mousse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had it fresh off the pan so it was still warm and moist, so I didn't need any syrup with it or anything.

    If you do need something to moisten it though, you could probably use a bit of whey of a different flavour, mix it up with a bit of water so it is quite thick and syrup-like. Or a bit of peanut butter in the microwave could do the trick as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited to try this! Thanks for posting. What else do you eat with it? Obviously veggies, but do you eat beans too?

    ReplyDelete