Sunday 23 January 2011

Stevia??

If I remember reading correctly, Tim Ferriss generally advises against artificial sweeteners but mentions Stevia as being the one of choice for slow carbers if they are really that intent on taking it.

I didn't think anything of it - I figured you know, drop Splenda and get on to the Stevia and satisfy those sweet tooth cravings.

So on to Google I go to see where in the UK I can find it and....I can't

It is banned in the UK, and the whole of the EU for that matter. Apparently can screw around with male fertility as well as being prone to causing DNA mutations. Yippee!

That is one thing to steer well clear of, thank you very much. Slow carbers beware.

2 comments:

  1. If you were curious about Stevia as sweetener for tea, I would suggest foregoing black tea altogether until "cheat" day. I used to live on strong black tea with sugar and it was hard to adjust to no sugar at all. I tried cinnamon, but it didn't taste good and cinnamon can cause cankers in women's mouths.

    My solution: switch to only green and funky teas. I stocked up on an Earl Grey green tea, a pomegranate green tea, pu-er tea and yerba mate. The last two are reported to have positive effects for weight/fat loss and yerba mate is Ferriss' go-to drink to minimize the effects of "cheat" day.

    I think the differentness of the green and funky teas makes it easier to drink because you don't expect them to be sweet necessarily.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, here is a post from Tim stating his negative opinion on Stevia. http://www.facebook.com/timferriss/posts/10150101491977241

    ReplyDelete